Updated on 31 May 2021
• Martha Karambu has become the first woman chief justice of Kenya.
• The Parliament of Nepal country has been dissolved by the President of that country.
• UNICEF has launched ‘Young Warrior’ campaign. The purpose of the campaign is to engage young people across the country to address the ongoing covid crisis.
• International Monetary Fund has proposed a $ 50 billion Global vaccination plan that would cover at least 40% of the world population by the end of 2021 and and 60% by the first half of 2022.
• DRDO has designed the covid-19 antibody detection kit ‘ DIPCOVAN’. It will help in sero survey. This survey is done to know the level of antibody against covid-19.
• NASA has announced to send its first mobile robot named VIPER to the moon by 2023. This mobile robot will search for ice and other resources on the Lunar surface and below it.
:- VIPER – Volatiles Investigating Polar Exploration Rover.
• A book “India and Asian geopolitics: The Past, Present” is authored by Shivshankar Menon.
• Haryana state launched an anti-covid Sanjivani Pariyojna to provide for supervised and quick medical care at home largely for people in rural areas.
• Red Bull’s Max Verstappen has won 2021 Monaco Grand Prix title. He is from Netherland.
• Valeria Luiselli is Mexican author. She has won this year’s Dublin literary Award for her work, lost children Archive novel. This is considered one of the richest literary award in the world. The Dublin literary award includes a prize money of €100,000.
• According to the Bloomberg billionaires index; Gautam Adani become Asia’s second richest man with $67.6 billion net worth and 14th richest businessman in the world.
• Alok Ranjan Jha has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the Republic of Belarus.
• Rajesh Bansal has been appointed as the chief executive officer of Reserve Bank innovation hub and it will promote innovation across financial sector.
• FIFA was established in 21st may 1904. FIFA Council announced that the FIFA U-17 women’s World cup in India will be held from October 11 to 30, 2022.
• ‘Alphabet Inc’ subsidiary company Google would open its first physical store in New York city.
• National anti terrorism Day is observed on 21st May.
• The World’s largest iceberg A-76 broke apart from Antarctica. This iceberg was spotted by a satellite of European Space Agency called Copernicus Sentinel.
• Iran has unveiled a new supercomputer named ‘Simorgh’. Which is 100 times more powerful than the previous supercomputer of the country.
• Shankar Bala Subramanyam and David Klenerman both has been awarded the “Millennium Technology prize” is one of the world’s largest Technology prize. They are professors of DNA Sequencing Poineer Cambridge University.
|Millennium Technology prize winner|
• India has moved to the third position on EY’s Renewable Energy Country Attractiveness Index due to its exceptional performance on the Solar photovoltaics front. USA has topped.
• Neera Tanden Indian origin woman has been appointed as senior advisor to the white House.
• China successful launched a new Ocean observation satellite ‘Haiyang-2D’ (HY-2D) by a long March-4B rocket from the Jiuquan satellite launch center in northwest China.
• Asia Cup Twenty20 cricket tournament due to be held in Sri Lanka in June has been cancelled because of the worsening coronavirus crisis in the region.
• IDRBT is building a next generation Digital Financial Infrastructure named National Digital Financial Infrastructure. It is a branch of RBI.
• ‘The International museum Day’ is observed on 18 May.
Theme:- ” The future of museum: recover and reimagine’.
• World Hypertension Day is observed on 17th May.
Theme:- ” Measure your blood pressure, control it, live longer”.
• ‘Matsyakara Bharosa’ is a scheme of Andhra Pradesh.
• World Economic Forum (WEF) announced the cancellation of its annual meeting for 2021. The headquarters of WEF at Jeneva, Switzerland.
• Andrea Meza from Mexico has been crowned Miss universe 2020.
|Miss universe 2020|
• Manipur state Chief Minister has launched the mobile app “MOMA market” for delivering veggies at home.
• Telangana government has selected 16 primary Health Care Centres for testing the ambitious “Medicine from the sky” the first-of-its-kind project involving delivery of medicines through multiple drones.
• The “International Invincible Gold Medal” has been conferred to Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank.
• International Day of light is observed on 16 May.
• The first batch of the drug 2-Deoxy-D-Glucose has been released for covid-19 patients by the DRDO minister Rajnath Singh and Health and Family welfare minister Dr Harsh Vardhan.
• Women Mountaineers, Baljeet Kaur from Himachal Pradesh and Gunbala Sharma from Rajasthan have become the first Indian women to Summit the 7,161 metres high Mount Pumori in Nepal.
• CoWIN platform is being made available in Hindi and 14 other regional languages. The CoWIN platform is used for registration for covid-19 Vaccine.
• The Book “Sikkim: The History of Intrigue and Alliance” published by Harper Collins India and released on 16 May, which is celebrated as Sikkim day. The book is authored by Preet Mohan Singh Malik.
• Eminent Tamil writer KI Raj Narayanan and winner of the sahitya Akademi Award, has passed away recently. He is 98 years old.
• Nuklu Phom is an environmentalist from Nagaland’s longleng district. He has won the year’s whitley award 2021, which is also known as the Green Oscar.
• In Tennis, Spain’s Rafael Nadal has won the men’s single title of Italian open defeating by Serbia’s Novak Djokovic. He won his 10th Italian open.
• India’s former badminton coach
S Balachandran has passed away.
• Sir David Attenborough world renowned broadcaster and natural Historian, has been named COP26 People’s advocate for the UK’s president of the UN climate change summit in Glasgow.
• 6th United Nations Global Road Safety week is being celebrated from 17 May to 23 May 2021.
Awareness Campaign- ‘Street for life: love 30’.
According to United Nations, “the speed of vehicles should be 30 km/ph.
• New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Arden topped fortune’s list of the world’s 50 Greatest leaders. Adar Poonawalla has topped the ‘World’s 50 Greatest Leader’ list for 2021, released by Fortune Magazine. The only Indian in the top 10 list, he is recognised for taking the task of bringing an end to the Global pandemic by supplying covid-19 vaccines.
• Urbana Swachh Bharat Mission 2.0 will be implemented over a period of 5 year from 2021-2026. The total financial allocation is Rs. 1,41,678 crore.
• Ujjwala scheme which was benefited 8 crore household will be extended to cover 1 crore more beneficiaries. The scheme was launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 1 May 2016 from Ballia, Uttar Pradesh.
• National Dengue day was observed on 16 May every year by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare to spread awareness about dengue disease.
• K P Sharma oli was sworn in as Prime Minister of Nepal.