• DRDO has developed ‘Atman Artificial Intelligence’ technique to detect the presence of covid-19 disease in X Ray. Through this technique there will be no need to have a CT scan to find the Coronavirus results.
– with this technique an x-ray image will tell in a few minutes whether a person has symptoms of coronavirus or not.
• HDFC Bank launched the Chatbot ‘EVA’. Through this the benefit of banking service will be extended to rural entrepreneurs. They will know about services and products of HDFC Bank. This service will be available for 24 hours.
– According to EVA program business correspondent will help rurals and Citizens take home loan, car loan and tractor loan.
• International Energy Agency Organisation released 2021 Renewable Energy Market update. The agency has raised its forecast for global development of solar power and wind power by 25%.
– This report states that there will be 45% increase in renewable energy in China. It will increase from 150 GW to 230 GW.
• Russia has succeeded in making a single dose of vaccine of coronavirus. The new version of the vaccine sputnik V is now Sputnik lite. According to the company, the success percentage of Sputnik light is 80%.
• International nurses day celebrated on 12th May.
– Its theme- “Nurses: a voice to lead- a vision for future healthcare”.
– The birth anniversary of Florence nightingale is celebrated as International nurses day. She was English social reformer and also the founder of modern nursing. She was called ‘The Lady with the Lamp”.
• Justice Gita Mittal recieved the ‘Airline Pacht Global Vision Award 2021’ by the international Association of women Judges. She became the first Indian judge to receive the honour. She shared the award with justice Margarita Luna Ramos of Mexico.
– Gita Mittal is currently serving as the chairperson of Broadcasting Content Complaint Council.
• Lewis Hamilton won the title of ‘Spanish Grand Prix 2021’.
• Tamilnadu state government has changed the name of its 9 ministries out of 34 Ministries.
• Puducherry has become a union territory with ‘Har Ghar Jal’.
• National Technology day celebrated on 11 May. Its theme is ‘Science and Technology for a sustainable future’.
On this day India test fired its first successful Shakti-1 nuclear missile by the Indian Army, at the pokhran test range Rajasthan. It was called ‘Operation Shakti’.
• The NASA space agency’s spacecraft ‘Osiris-Rex’ has started a 2 years long journey to Earth. The mission was launched in 2018 to study the asteroid Bennu. It is currently the most dangerous asteroid known to Earth. It has a 1/2700 chance of hitting the Earth in 22nd century.
• The ‘Mount Sinabung’ volcano erupted in Indonesia.
• Kami Rita Sherpa has set a world record by climbing Mount Everest for the 25th time. Kami Rita first conquered Mount Everest in 1994.
• 83 women have been inducted into the Indian Army in the first batch of Women Military Police. They are inducted into Army after rigorous training in the corps of military police Bengaluru.
• Himant Biswa Sarma became the 15th chief minister of Assam State. He has replaced Sarbnanda Sonowal.
• Sana Ramchandra became the first Hindu woman to join the administrative Service of Pakistan and she is a President of Karachi. She is Pakistan’s first Hindu woman assistant commissioner. She has qualified the Central Superior Service 2020 examination.
• Israel has developed the drug ‘Exo-CD24’ for the treatment of covid-19. This drug helps in recovery of Corona from only 3 to 5 days. The Exo- CD24 drug is effective in combating Cytokine Storms.
• Dr. Tahera Qutubudin won the Sheikh Zayed Book Award. The book is ‘ Arabic Oration: Art and Function.
This is a literary award commencing in the UAE. It is presented annually to, ‘Arab Writers, Intellectuals, Publishers’ as well as young talents. This award is given first time in 2007.
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi participated in the European Council meeting on behalf of India. The meeting was hosted by Portugal.
• Aryna Sebalenka won the women’s singles title of the Madrid open Tennis tournament by defeated Ashley Barty.
• Victory day celebrated on 9 May in Russia to mark the surrender of the Germans in the second world war. On 9 May 2021 Russia marked the 76th anniversary of victory in World War II.
• The Chinese rocket Long-March 5B have fell into Indian Ocean near Maldives.
• The 2-DG drug for the treatment of covid-19 has developed by DRDO which is recently approved. 2-DG means 2- Deoxy Glucose. It has been developed in collaboration with Dr Reddy’s laboratories.
• INTERPOL launched the ‘ID-art’ app. This app will identify stolen cultural properties, reduce illegal trafficking and increase the chance of recovering stolen work.
– INTERPOL:- International Criminal Police Organisation. Its headquarters at Lyon France and 194 member countries.
• Recently Spacex agency has launched SN15 Rocket. The massive Spacex rocket went up to 6 miles up the Texas sky and successfully landed.
– The first two prototypes of the starship rockets that were launched in December 2020 and February 2021 failed to land properly and exploded.
– It is an American aerospace manufacturers and space transportation services company. Spacex was the first private company in the world to land rockets back on earth.
• International Mother’s Day is celebrated on 9 May.
-Mother’s Day every year celebrated on the second Sunday of the May month.
• Sahyadri Tiger Reserve is located at Maharashtra.
• Amit Banerjee has been appointed as the Managing Director and chairman of Bharat Earth Movers limited.
• The Border Roads Organization celebrated its foundation Day on 7th May. It was formed on 7 May 1960.
– Its main motive is to secure India’s border and develop infrastructure in the remote areas of the North and North Eastern states of India.
• In Andhra Pradesh state, new strain of Coronavirus ‘N44OK’ has been found for the first time.
– This strain is 15 times more infectious than the current strain of Coronavirus. This strain is discovered by Center for Cellular and Molecular Biology.
• Dharmendra Pardhan has cleared the first supply of used cooking oil based biodiesel blended diesel.
– Its main purpose is to collect the used edible oil and convert it into biodiesel.
– 7% of biodiesel extracted from used cooking oil will be doped into diesel.
– biodiesel is an alternative to fossil fuels. Biodiesel can be produced from animal fat, vegetable oil and waste cooking oil.
• ‘Mayflower 400’ is Artificial Intelligence Ship. It is 15 metres long and weight 9 tons.
– Its Objective is to study Marine polution and analyse plastic in water.
– The Mayflower will become the first unmanned vehicle to cross the Atlantic Ocean. Hundreds of people from different countries like India, America and Switzerland were involved in making this ship.
• N Rangaswamy became the Chief Minister of Puducherry for fourth time.
• World Athletics Day observed on 7 May 2021. The first world Athletics was celebrated on 1996.
– In 2019 the International Association of Athletics Federation was renamed World Athletics.
– Athletics Championships 2021 will be hosted in USA country.
• Maria Ressa was selected for UNESCO World Press Freedom Award 2021.
• Himachal Pradesh state government has launched the ‘Parvat Dhara’ Yojna. Its objective is to boost the water level while retaining water for maximum duration.
– The government has initiated the scheme to revive, recharge and protect aquifers (underground water) and to conserve the natural resources of water in the state.
• Singapore becomes world’s first night zoo. The Zoo is spread over an area of about 35 hectares. Which has more than 1000 animals.
• Mark Selby recently become world champion in snooker for the fourth time.
• PV Sindhu and Michelle Li appointed as ambassador of the International Olympic Committee’s ‘Believe in Sports’ campaign also both have been a global ambassador of BWF’s ‘I am Badminton’ campaign since April last year.
• RBI Indian Regulatory body has joined the network for Greening the Financial System. RBI will get information from the Global climate risk management in the financial sector and also contribute to it.
Greening the Financial System:-
There are 83 Central banks connected to this system. Of these 75 are members and 13 are observers. The main objective of this system is to increase and accelerate green Finance.
– It was announced during the 1st Planets summit held in Paris in 2017.
• M K Stalin became the new Chief Minister of Tamilnadu. He is going to be sworn-in as the chief minister of Tamilnadu on 7 May.
• Article 311 was used for the first time in Jammu and Kashmir.
Lt. Governor Manoj Sinha was removed a government teacher from Kupwara district due to Anti National activities.
– Article 311:- Removal from rank or Demotion of persons employed in civil service under the Union or State.
• The world’s first Gione Navigation School begins in Moscow. Russian oil company Rosneft has launched the world’s first Gione navigation School.
– It has been designed with the objective of training experts in the field of drilling support.
– its course consists of more than 10 unique courses.
• America has approved the ‘Crimson Solar project’. The project will be set up on 2000 of acres land in the California desert.
– 650 temporary Jobs will be generated by the construction of this project. It has 350 MW solar photovoltaic facility and energy storage system.
• Amitabh Chaudhari approved to make again MD and CEO of Axis Bank for three years.
• Shyamla Ganesh has been awarded ‘The Order of Rising Sun 2021’. The award is presented by Emperor of Japan and was instituted in 1875.
– the Japanese government has given the award to Bangalore based Japanese teacher Shyamala Ganesh for promoting Japanese culture.
• Operation samudra Setu has been started by the Indian Navy for shipment of oxygen filled containers to India. Two Ships INS Talwar and INS Kolkata have been deployed for this operation.
• S. Jaishankar will participate on behalf of India in the G-7 meeting of foreign ministers and the meeting will be held in United Kingdom.
– The main agenda of this meeting is to discuss climate change, the covid-19 epidemic and the geopolitical situation in the world.
– In this meeting the president and the secretary general of India, Australia, South Korea, South Africa and ASEAN have been invited as guests.
– The G-7 is international intergovernmental economic organisation of seven advanced economies of the world. Members are Canada, Japan, Italy, France, Germany, USA and United Kingdom. The headquarters of G-7 is in Italy.
• The United nation released the Global Forest Target Report 2021. About 1.6 billion or 25% of world population depends on forest for their subsistence needs, livelihood, employment and income.
• Poland has announced to cease coal production by 2049 to deal with the the problem of climate change.
• Saudi Arabia country has launched ‘Green Initiative’ to deal with climate change.
Objective- To increase vegetation cover, reduce carbon emissions, reduce pollution and land degradation and conserve Marine life.
– its aim to plant 1 million trees throughout Saudi Arabia.
• Recently information was given by the ministry of AYUSH that AYUSH-64 drug is possible in the treatment of coronavirus. Which was made for the treatment of Malaria. The drug was developed in 1980 to treat Malaria.
• Narendra Singh Tomar inaugurated the ‘National Kharif Conference 2021’. It is organised to discuss the challenges and strategies of crop management during the Kharif season.
– India has produced 303.34 million tonnes of good grains in 2020-21, which is 1.96% higher than the previous year.
• Jio and byju’s Indian company has been included in times magazine’s list of 100 most influential companies of the year 2021. Times magazine has for the first time made the list of world’s most influential companies.
-Time’s person of the year:- Joe Biden and Kamala Harris
– Time’s kid of the year:- Geetanjali Rao. She is an Indian American inventor, author, scientist and engineer. She won the the discovery education 3M young scientist challenge in 2017. She is 15 years old Colorado high school student.
• The joint military exercise ‘Defender Europe-21’ begins in Albania. The North Atlantic Treaty Organisation has recently started a joint military exercise.
– The Practice is an annual US-led multinational practice.
– more than 28000 soldiers from the US and it’s allies are participating in the exercise.
• Portugal country has the world’s longest pedestrian bridge opened.
This bridge is 516 metres long built at an altitude of 175 metres.
• The 2021 Asian Boxing championship will be held in Dubai.
• T V Somanathan is appointed as new Finance Secretary of India.
• Dr. Kriti K Karant became the first Indian woman to have “Wild Innovator Award”. She is Chief conservation scientist at Bengaluru based centre for wildlife studies.
• United Kingdom became the first country to announce the regulation of the use of slow speed self driving vehicles on the road.
– According to the ministery of transport, by 2035 about 40% of UK new cars can have self- driving capability.
has launched the first module for the new space station. Its name is Tiangong.
– China launched the Space station core capsule into space via a long March-5B rocket from the Wenchang space launch centre.
• Recently Sri Lanka’s cabinet has approved ban all types of face covering at public places.
• DRDO tested The Python Missile in Goa. This will be added to the air 2 air weapons package of Tejas, an Indigenously developed aircraft in India. It is one of the most state of the art guided missiles in the world.
– It is constructed by Israel’s Rafael advanced defence system.
• Russia expelled the European Diplomats from Latvia, Slovakia, Estonia, Lithuania, Romania, Czech diplomats.
• Ministers of Karnataka state have decided to pay 1 years salary for covid workers.
• ICICI Bank has launched the digital banking platform ‘Merchant Stack’. A digital and contactless banking platform has been launched for retail merchants.
• Vaishali Hiwase became the first woman officer to be appointed as the commanding officer in (BRO) Border Roads Organisation for providing connectivity through an India China border road.
• International labour Day celebrated on first May.
– This day is observed to celebrate the achievements of the workers and to spread awareness about the exploitation that the workers face.